In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, there has been a consumer rush on toilet paper, meat products, cleaning supplies, both surface cleaners/disinfectants and hand sanitizers, etc. Specifically regarding cleaning supplies, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) compiled a list of EPA-registered surface disinfectants (List N) approved for use as safe and effective against SARS- CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19).
However, in addition to making sure that consumers and industries are using disinfectant products on List N to inactivate the SARS-CoV-2 on surfaces, EPA also needs to ensure that the products are being used in a safe manner. Subsequently, EPA just released a consumer news update about how to use List N disinfectants safely and effectively.
In summary, the following five steps should be followed when disinfecting surfaces for SARS-CoV-2:
- Never apply the product to yourself, to others, or to food. Do not ingest disinfectant products.
- Always follow the use instructions on the disinfectant’s label. Never mix products unless specified in the use directions.
- Wash the surface with soap and water before applying disinfectant products if the label specifies pre-cleaning.
- Follow the contact time listed for your List N product. This is the amount of time the surface must remain visibly wet to ensure efficacy against the virus.
- Wash your hands after using a disinfectant.
Both of our SUV Disinfectant products – concentrate and wipes – are on EPA’s List N, referenced under EPA Registration Numbers – 6836-366 and 6836-372.